Monday, June 14, 2010

Cancer and Chronic Fatigue

I recently posted about the potential link between autism and CFS. Today I wanted to mention the immunological similarities between cancer and CFS. It was this shared abnormality in ribonuclease (RNase) L in CFS and in prostate cancer patients that sent researchers actively looking for XMRV in CFS after finding it in a subclass of prostate cancer patients. It is my understanding that there is a notably higher cancer rate among CFS patients than in the general population and perhaps this sheds some light on the reason.

A very interesting lecture (about 15 minutes) about XMRV and specifically prostate cancer (but also mentions CFS several times) is found here.

Not sure what I'm talking about? Check out my post on What Is CFS? :) If you or someone you love is facing cancer (with, or without CFS), here are some cancer support links that may offer a measure of comfort.

1 comment:

Mary C. said...

Jennifer, I just wanted you to know that I am about to finish "Hannah's Hope" and this book has been a true inspiration/coping mechanism to me. You are such a true person and I love how you tie the chapters to Bible verses. I bought your book when I was going through fertility issues, set the book aside once I got pregnant, and have now picked it back up in the last week bc we are grieving our first miscarriage. Thank you for this book and for your courage to write such a book, as it gives people such perspective and hope. Thank you truly from the bottom of my heart! God Bless!