Wednesday, July 8, 2009

He is the Potter, I am the Play Dough?

Maybe you've heard the saying before, "He is the Potter, I am the clay" (based on Romans 9 and several other references). Tricia Goyer brings a delightfully fresh perspective to this well-worn expression in her newest book Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God.

Though the book does not release for sale until the middle of this month, I had the delight of reading her first chapter this week. (Follow the link and you can too!) Though I know that Tricia was not an "Infertility Mom" many passages read as if they easily could have come from my own journals:

I loved dolls, and I loved imagining what it would be like when I would be a mom. Someday I’d have a baby of my own instead of a [play]-dough creation. But when I had kids, I felt like I was the one being squished and pressed. At times I felt like I was being poked as I tried to deal with the 101 needs of my kids. I felt stretched as I struggled through things I’d hoped I’d never have to face... I felt pulled when I tried to balance raising kids, taking care of our house, serving in church, and following my dreams. There were even days when I felt as if I was literally
being pounded—by life, by my hang-ups, by my own insecurities and doubts that I was “good enough” as a mom...


Some of my readers are moms, reaching this destination through a variety of paths. Others are still awaiting motherhood, longing and praying for such a blessing. But I think we can all relate to striving for a deep heart desire, then being surprised to find out that blessings can be costly as God shapes us after His heart in ways we never expected. I found this first chapter of Blue Like Play Dough to be such a refreshing example of how to live real life, messy life, crazy and unexpected life, by keeping God a first priority right there in the midst of it all. Looking forward to reading the rest when the book is available later this month!

UPDATE!!!
Join the Play Dough Party on Facebook, July 27!

No comments: