Friday, January 29, 2010

Fiction Fridays: Chosen

When I first started this blog I had intended to run a Fiction Fridays topic, posting about interesting Christian fiction books or authors, especially those touching on the topics of infertility or loss. I didn't get very far into this goal before life got crazy and the idea got pushed to the side, so this week I'm pre-setting book reviews to post for the next several Fridays to make sure that I stay on track.

Please leave your input! I would love to hear your experiences with these books or if there are other titles you have read that others might find interesting. As a "comments" reply here, please give the title, author, and enough about the plot line that someone can decide if they are "ready" to give that book a read or if there are any unexpected surprises that could be painful triggers if caught by surprise.

Today's selection is:



Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther by Ginger Garrett (this author is a former member of Hannah's Prayer, by the way) is a fictionalized look at Esther, and in Ginger's telling of the story, she is never able to bear children. Spellbinding reading! Chosen first released by NavPress in 2005 and an updated version will be re-released by David C. Cook on March 1, 2010, but is available for pre-order in Kindle or print formats now.



Find out more about Ginger, enjoy her wonderful blog, and learn many great beauty secrets and interesting historical facts at GingerGarrett.com.

3 comments:

Fertility godess said...

When we lost our baby girl in-utero in 2005, the book 'When God does not make sense' by Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family, was what got me through the first couple of weeks after this loss.

In essense this book is saying that God does not really choose anyone for bad things to happen to them. These things just happen and we have to just adjust our perspective on life, in this regard, to deal with them as they come.

I would reccommend to anyone who have suffered a loss.

Kelly L said...

I have never read Christian fiction. I love my Bible but for fiction I like to cozy up with a good romantic mystery...

Love to you
Kelly

HP Jill said...

I loved Chosen too, Jenni! Fantastic story that really made me think about what Esther had to let go of in order to live the life God had chosen for her. And that painful moment of knowing what she must do. One of the standouts in Christian fiction that I've read in recent years.

For an oldie, have you ever read Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss?