Thursday, April 22, 2010

Driving Me Up the Wall

I've tried to describe to those closest too me what it is like to try to drive, how draining it is even to go a short distance and how fatiguing the sensory overload can be. I came across this article today that explains it all pretty well.

I didn’t drive for the better part of the first 4 years I was sick. Almost 20-years in I have made a total of 1 drive 45 minutes from home, 2 drives 90 minutes from home (and these both several years ago at my most healthy season), but typically have to keep everything within a half hour radius of the house (on my best days) or someone else has to drive. I too have learned when I just simply have to hand over the keys and cannot safely navigate a vehicle even for a 5-minute drive. It is a constant fear that I will spend too much of my mental/physical reserves getting myself somewhere or use up more than planned while I’m there, then not have the energy to get myself safely back home again.

I also have trouble plotting out how to get from point A to point B even if I know the area well. I’ve gotten lost many times and often have to backtrack or end up taking the most lengthy/complicated route somewhere because I have to keep re-adjusting for turns I forgot to make or exits I passed by, etc. My husband bought me an in-car-navigator for Christmas a couple of years ago and it has been very helpful, but sometimes I even have a hard time following those directions.

No comments: